Thursday, May 29, 2008



How to Use a Digital Picture Frame

Many of the departments here in the nascent College of Engineering have big $1000 plasma screen TVs hooked up to $600 computers showing a promotional slideshow of their activities. I decided to spend around $100 on a digital picture frame to do the same thing outside my office. After looking at a few frames I decided to buy a Kodak Easyshare SV1011, the old cheap one without the wifi link. Of all the cheap frames I looked at, that one had the best image quality.

I got out my Dremel and bolted it to the wall hard enough so that anybody seeking to steal it will have to totally destroy it to get it off the wall.

I used a few photos I had lying around, and I used the "Save as jpg" feature in PowerPoint to make a few informational slides. If you buy another frame, make sure you check it out on some jpgs of text saved by PowerPoint, because it looked sucky on some of the screens I tried. I was totally unprepared for that, but I guess it figures that the frames are optimized for showing photos cheaply, and people are not going to notice the loss of resolution that really shows up on text.

Do you think any other faculty will follow my lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment